Saturday, August 7, 2010

Down on the Farm

I did a farm themed first birthday cake this week for a little guy named McCoy, and I got to test my hand out at making fondant animals. I had a bit of extra fondant around, so I started playing on Wednesday to make sure they were dried out enough by the time I delivered the cake on Friday. I made them all out of white fondant and then painted them with food coloring. For this being one of the first times I've ever done this, I think I did pretty darn good. It also makes me much less afraid to try more later!

The barn and silo are made of chocolate cake, and had fudge, peanut butter and vanilla frostings between the layers. The only think I might have done differently was decorating the barn and silo with fondant instead of frosting, but did frosting at the customer's request.

Also requested was a pretzel fence, which actually wasn't as hard to put together as I thought!


The Critters: Chicken, Duck, Cow, Sheep and Pig-- a bit out of proportion, I know, but still darn cute!

The big picture


And the close ups

No comments:

Post a Comment