Friday, May 22, 2009

I finally did it...

Ok, so like everyone else on this planet, I have started a blog.
For almost the past year, I have wanted to start a bakery or something that would allow me to work hard, and not have to deal with the day to day pains of being employed by someone else. However, I have talked to my Mom about starting this venture with me, so we'll see if I think the same way after I get up and running.

So in the mean time, I have been making cakes at home for my kids for birthday parties, and have just recently been asked by a neighbor to do a graduation cake (which I should really start working on), and have also volunteered to do a wedding cake for my good friend Kelsey's wedding in September. I figure this will give me enough practice to actually decide if I have the talent to do this professionally.

One of these days, I need to actually sign up for a class in decorating so that I can learn the correct techniques for what I've been doing. I'd also love to learn how to make all the flowers from gum paste and stuff... We'll see how far I'll have to travel to get that accomplished since there isn't really much in, well, the entire state of ND.

Anyway, as I make cakes, cupcakes, and anything else that will ruin a diet, I'll be sure to post photos and try to give updates as often as I can!

In the mean time, here are the photos of the birthday cakes that I have done for the kids in the last year and a half.

Aiden's 5th birthday-- We had a Super Hero theme--



This is a 2 layer cake, with marshmallow fondant. the bottom layer is chocolate and the top is yellow cake. No fun fillings or flavors since it was for a 5 year old's birthday... He doesn't care what it was made of as long as it was sweet!







Emma's 3rd Birthday- 2 Cakes
The first one is the "present" we sent to daycare for her birthday, it is a chocolate cake with VERY pink frosting (because what 3 year old girl doesn't like pink??) The ribbon is fruit by the foot, and the polka dots are a package of Dots candy.

Cake #2-- Butterfly


Not a great picture of the cake, but was a round cake that was cut apart and frosted to sorta resemble a butterfly... another white cake with white, pink and green vanilla flavored frosting.





Aiden's 4th Birthday

Chocolate!! Small round chocolate cake on the bottom, 7 green frosted cupcakes on the 2nd layer, 4 red frosted cupcakes on the third layer and 1 yellow frosted cupcake to top it off. Sprinkled with Skittles. Apparently LOTS of sugar is a big hit around here!

I guess that's all for now, I'll post the photos of the graduation cake and cupcakes later today after it's completed, and stay tuned for September for my first wedding cake!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment