Monday, June 8, 2009

Experimenting with Flax

So yesterday at one of my whirlwind trips to pick up the kids, from their 10 days with grandma and grandpa, and swing through the Wally World that was closest to my house (which I will remind everyone is about 50 miles from my house). I decided to pick up some milled flax...

Mind you, I did not pick it up for it's wonderful health benefits, but rather, I needed to find something that was a good substitute for eggs because I am making a couple cakes later this summer for someone who is allergic to eggs. I wanted to make sure that the cakes I did for this person were not the first try at using flax, so I tried it out last night.

I didn't make a cake, but used it in a box muffin mix just to get a look see at what the look, taste and texture would be like. Afterall, the milled flax doesn't exactly look pretty...

But it really wasn't bad at all!! The look was a little different than what it would have been had I used eggs (it looked like there was wheat flour used instead of white flour) but the taste and texture was just perfect! They were light and fluffy and pretty darn moist, so now I'm not afraid to use the flax at all for these cakes!!! YAY!

For anyone who would like to be able to make any food without eggs, 1 tablespoon of milled flax mixed with 3 tablespoons of water is equal to about 1 egg.

Below are the the out of the box "blueberry" muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment